Do you need to sync some private channels in your workspace? Login to your Mio Control Hub to get started.
First, it's important to understand how private channels work on both Slack and Microsoft Teams:
- In Slack, private channels are channels designed for an exclusive audience, marked with a 🔒 next to the name. Workspace owners and Slack admins can convert existing public channels to private natively on Slack.
- In Microsoft Teams, channel membership is handled at the team level. Microsoft Teams is also working on rolling out private channels for their customers and their API in their Office 365 roadmap. The Private Channel feature will be revealed in full later this year (2019).
Now that that's covered, let's look at how Mio handles syncing of private channels for Slack ➡️Microsoft Teams, and vice versa.
Syncing private channels in Team Sync
When you're ready to connect your private channels in Slack and Microsoft Teams, set up a new Team Sync.
- Select "create new sync."
- Choose your Slack and Microsoft channels.
- Connect two pre-existing channels, or add a channel if it only exists for one team.
- Repeat the process to sync additional channels.
You'll see a padlock symbol next to the channels that are set to private in Slack and Microsoft. These channels will connect just like normal channels. You'll also be able to track the process of your sync in the mean Team sync page as usual.
Slack Private Channels ➡️ Microsoft Teams Private Team
When you sync a private Slack channel to Microsoft Teams, Microsoft will create a public "general" channel within a new private team.
The private team will assume the name of the originating private Slack channel. This is Mio's fallback as Microsoft Teams currently handles channel membership at the Team level (as of June 2019).
A note about membership in synced private channels: The first invited Microsoft Teams member will need to be synced before they can invite other non-synced Slack colleagues.
Microsoft Teams Private Channel ➡️ Slack Private or Public Channel
When you sync a private Microsoft Teams channel to Slack, Mio first gives you the option to decide how this should be handled on Slack, as it is possible to make the synced channel private or public.
What if I want to make a previously synced Slack private channel public?
You cannot change a Slack private channel back to public after it has been synced.
However, here is a workaround:
- Find the channel/space in your Mio Control Hub under Team Sync.
- Edit the sync.
- Search for the channel or space you'd like to change back to public.
- Remove the channel (this will stop syncing) and save the sync.
- Now, change the channel or space setting back to public within Slack or Microsoft Teams.
- Go back to your Mio Hub > Team Sync.
- Sync the channel (which should now show as public) and save.